Friday, February 12, 2016

What and where ...

In an effort to be a little more prepared in terms of what we can expect for this trip compared to our Italian expedition back in 2010, I am starting with a little background about the history of Norfolk (UK). It is a rainy and windy Saturday afternoon at home, so it seemed a really appropriate time to do a little background research about some place in the UK! Yes, yes ... let the antipodean irreverence begin at the outset ... some prefer sarcasm, but my sense it is far too early to let that surface :).

So, I am relying on Wikipedia. I did try a few other more authoritative online sources but they all want information about me I was not prepared to share. So, you will see for greater detail than offered below, the links are pointing you to a fabulous first source of information to begin research (clearly I do not have a PhD or such heresy would not be passing my lips ... but a start is all I need because the soon - god willing (are we allowed to say that these days?) -  I will be immersed on location so hopefully the "real" history will reveal the veracity or otherwise of Wikipedia!


So, Norfolk. What's in a name?

Norfolk is a county in East Anglia, an area in the east of England - the map above will help. The north and east of the county is coastline with the North Sea. The land borders are shared with Lincolnshire (north west), Cambridgeshire (west) and Suffolk (south) ... the geography is reasonably accurate :). East Anglia was once (NO! "not upon a time") an Anglo-Saxon kingdom (the tribe originating in Germany) called East Angles, and originally comprised Norfolk ("north folk") and Suffolk ("south folk"). 

All makes perfect sense! Just like home when we say we are from the north coast :) ... just depends which part of the country you are looking at!

Given the extensive coastline there will be lots to explore there. Norfolk (indeed all of East Anglia) is very flat and noted for its fenland (a neutral or alkaline wetland/mire ... as opposed to a bog which tends to be acidic ... never too old to learn!) and reclaimed marshlands, waterways comprising The Broads ... I look forward to exploring the Rivers Yare and Wensum which are close to Norwich, the major city of Norfolk where we will be based.

Norwich

This will be our main base for our stay. Initially we will spend some time with Belinda and George in their new terrace and will move to The Dairy (see below) around the time the bub is due.

A city now of more than 200,000 it was once the second largest city after London in England. Originally a Roman settlement (Venta Icenorumwhich declined around 450AD, the Anglo-Saxon's settled and established "Nothwic" (now Norwich) and "Westwic" ... so it will be good to explore the history of the city during our stay - well some of it!

The Dairy - at Lodge Farm, Bawburgh Lakes

Belinda and George found this location for us. If it is half as good as it looks on the website we will be spoiled for walks and views and whole lot more. A check of the map shows it is also quite close to the University of East Anglia but I see that as a place for a different walk rather than much else :).

After Deb & I shared a farewell lunch with some colleagues from work today (19/2/16) and some discussion about keeping this blog, I figure "why not, let's do it!". So as we ramp up our preparations until our departure next Thursday (25th), stay tuned. I will do my best to give you some glimpses into our time in the UK ... just as I did this update I checked the 14 day forecast and for the first week the day temperature does not exceed 10C and the nights fall marginally to 2-3C :) so we will keep the coats near the top of our bags!


2 comments:

  1. Love the travelogue. Maybe this could be your next vocation, or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I respond here I can only agree - the travelogue has only gotten better and it would not be a difficult vocation to get used to. SO MANY things out here to enjoy and explore when you make the time.

      Delete