What better way to end the journey than with another long walk (about 10km all up) rambling around Blickling Estate. Our earlier visit only allowed time for touring the Hall. Perhaps that was as well given the pleasure of yesterday :) ... certainly much brighter "in the garden" than on our earlier visit.
See for yourself for starters ...
I had a clear view of the Hall when I arrived - no one in the shot, so that was a good initial sign. The shots of the formal garden are included because it is easy to see how much more colour and foliage than back in March when we first visited ... although we did not go around the garden, I ducked out for a few quick snaps a couple of which were included in the earlier post (Ah ... how the other half live).
When I saw the splash of vibrant pastels and oranges and yellows against the more common purples and lilacs and mauves I decided I needed to head in that direction while the weather was bright ... there was a series of gardens sections to navigate to reach the folly in the distance and along the way some excellent examples of the magnificent range of colours on display - trees, shrubs, bushes and, of course, flowers. First rhododendrons ... mauve, pink, white and white with a soft pink flush.
Then those magnificent vibrant colours around the folly. I am certainly no gardener, but I cannot recall seeing azaleas like these anywhere ... they were just gorgeous and seemed to peek at you and draw your attention in so many ways. It is a sight that will remain with me for along time, I'm sure - dare I say, it rivaled my new found love of the tulip in all it's glory and colour range (almost!). These will give you some idea ...
Then there were some other less "flash" but very peaceful groves and huge oaks in paddocks that had their very own appeal, again demanding you pause your ramble and take time to admire nature's grandeur! also excellent views of the Hall across the lake, a pyramid mausoleum and The Tower way out across the fields.
Even the humble cow and calf drew a pause ... it was fantastic to "be there" ... at times just me and nature speaking to me in tongues ... and there were lots of them. Two sets of Egytian geese parents, one with teenagers and the others much more recent goslings; a great crested grebe and her young (earlier I had spotted a pair of young ones); and the most rewarding and delightful of all, another reed warbler on a reed ... this was very cool because I have been trying in vain to get one at the Dairy I have been hearing for weeks, and at various points along the lake yesterday I had no luck ... but these are as good as the ones from RSPB Minsmere so I had a spring in my step for the rest of the walk :)
The final part of my ramble was across some farmed fields to complete the circuit. Even the wildflowers and cow parsley seemed to glow, and there was another wonderful perspective of the Blickling Church tower and residence and Hall across the wheat fields and meadow, and one final rhododendron bush.
Quite the end to a final wonderful ramble ... a fitting end to a great 3 months. Thank you to all concerned and never let anyone tell you Norfolk does not have much to offer!

































No comments:
Post a Comment